If you have been hearing about the Earth Day celebrations and wondering if you can make a difference, the answer is a big ‘Yes’. You’d be surprised to know that each one of us has the power to help the environment.
There are lots of amazing ways in which you can celebrate Earth Day.
- For the active folks– Go hiking or running. There is nothing like the wonderful outdoors. If you have the time and motivation to do something good for the environment, you could also sign up with your local environment group. They’ll let you know what to do and how to do it. Being a volunteer is always fulfilling. You get to contribute to society in a meaningful way.
- For the busy bees– Short of time, yet want to celebrate Earth Day? Don’t worry- we’ve got an idea for you too. All you need to do is to step outdoors and enjoy the sunshine, even if it is for a little while. Breathe in the refreshing spring air and take a moment to appreciate what nature has to offer. No, you do not need to spend hours sitting in a park: 15 minutes are good too. And then you can go back to work, feeling fresh, positive and rejuvenated.
- For the lazies– Well, if you have been lazy, you’ll have tons of stuff to take care of. This Earth Day, why not make a list of all the doors and windows that need better insulation? Then call the pros and get the problems fixed. You’ll save energy, save money and do your bit on Earth Day! Don’t forget turn off any extra lights in the house.
- For those who love gardening- No, we aren’t quite going to tell you what to do. If you love gardening, chances are that you have been celebrating Earth Day all through the year! So, thank you for the flowers, plants and trees that you tend to. I bet the butterflies would love to say thank you too!
- For the fashionable and trendy ones– Take a quick look into your closet. There’s got to be stuff that you don’t like anymore or fit into or that just isn’t fashionable any longer. Well, take all those clothes and give them to a charity. Your good deed will clean up your closet (delayed spring cleaning, remember?) and help someone needy. Also, resources like water and energy are used each time a new garment is made. So, basically you’re helping recycle stuff!
- For the gadget lovers– Got tons of electronics lying around the house? Well, this is the day to gather all the stuff that you don’t use or need and take them to an electronic waste facility. Do NOT dump the stuff in your trash can, not even the motherboard from your old PC. You’d have a cleaner house and would’ve done your bit by disposing off the hazardous waste properly.
- For kids- The best way to get kids involved in the celebrations is to take them to the recycle center. Talk about why recycling stuff is important. Then, let them use all the change you get. Put in some more cash and buy them some goodies. Back home, you could get them to plant a sapling and let them care for the plant. Watch as the plant and the child grow together.
- For everyone- Make sure you do not waste paper, water or energy. Try to use fewer paper towels to dry your hands at work, school, in malls, at airports, anywhere. Don’t stand in the shower forever and don’t let the lights, heat or air conditioner running when you are not around. Also, please do not litter!
You might fit into one category or many of these. In any case, you know how to celebrate the day. Do the right thing this Earth Day!